Sunday, March 09, 2008

iPhone SDK requirements

So you want to be an iPhone developer? Great! But first you'll need some stuff:

1. An Intel based Mac. A MacMini fits the bill. The MacMini is the cheapest way to join the Mac universe, and takes up little space. Desktops not your thing? The Macbook White is the cheapest laptop Apple makes.

2. A membership in ADC (Apple Developer Connection), which is easy enough to get if you have an iTunes account. If you want to test your app on your iPhone and distribute it in the app store, you'll also need $99 and apply to the iPhone Developer Program.

3. The iPhone SDK, now available at www.apple.com. The current SDK is for the iPhone 2.2.1 update.

4. An iPhone. I suppose you could just test your programs on the simulator, but what fun would that be?

5. OS X Leopard 10.5.5 If you're still using Tiger, this is your justification to upgrade. Plus it has Time Machine, Spaces, and some other cool features.

Good luck on your development and I hope to see your app in the App Store soon!

12 comments:

Sylvain Cloutier said...

I was considering developing an application for the iPhone using the iPhone SDK. Unfortunately I own four Dell PCs and no Mac. Well, I guess I now have time to look into learning Visual C# Express which I can learn using one of my four PCs. I'm sure the Mac is a fine machine (used a few of the mid 90's), but I'm not going to get a Mac for just only one purpose (iPhone) when I am using my PCs to do another hundred tasks. Just get real Apple! Make the iPhone SDK PC compatible!
Sylvain Cloutier http://www.Pasyl.com

jeremy said...

install the OSX 86 on one of your Dell's. look up the wiki OSX86 Project, save yourself from buying an apple

MacAttack said...

OSX86 project is a nice alternative, but it will not work for the SDK im afraid, me and a few friends have tried several hackintosh machines and while they are money savers if you want a cheap media system, the SDK does not work correctly.
Guess you gotta spend a few hundred quid on a mac mini like me :(

Raj said...

Great info for a Windows user. Thanks for putting it together. I have been using Windows for 10 years now and I have no clue about Macs configuration. I was reading a lot about Hacintoshes and I don't see any posting that says it works. There is always some glitch. This leaves me with no choice other than buying a MacMini. Where can I find a cheap MacMini that I can use to develop Apps? I use Windows for all my other stuff and I just need this Mac to just develop apps.

Tinley Harrier said...

Raj,

Your best best is try and get a Mac Mini on craigslist, you can probably find a decent deal.

Anonymous said...

Like most of your other commentators I too am XP Pro and Vista Premium only but, I'm prepared to buy a Mac and I just want to know if I can run SDK on an entry level Macbook Air. I can use this for MS-Office also so it would suit me fine. Nice and small and lightweight too.

Tinley Harrier said...

The MacBook Air will definitely run the iPhone SDK. As a rule, try and get as much RAM as possible with whatever Mac you go with because the SDK is a memory hog, almost as bad as Safari...

EdekitRex said...

I have the sdk running just fine on my dell xps 410...visit insanelymac.com to start learning if you really want to do it.

Anonymous said...

Does it have to be an Intel chip and why? Can I buy an old Mac Mini with the PowerPC G4 chip in it?

Anonymous said...

Power pc will not run sdk

Anonymous said...

Non of the old power pc computers will run the later versions of leopard, I have tried to no avail. They are all intel based software!

Anonymous said...

You can get an intel Mac mini on either Craigslist or eBay for anywhere from 200-400 bucks! I recommend at least a core 2 duo running at 2ghz and at least 2gigs of ram