Thursday, June 05, 2008

iPhone to kill Nintendo DS? Please!

Crazy article in Forbes today about the possibility of iPhones and iPod touches overthrowing the Nintendo DS in the portable gaming market. Um: no. As much as I love the iPhone, (and I love it more then anything else I've ever bought in my life and probably use it on average 5 hours a day), I just do not see this becoming a major mobile gaming platform. Don't get me wrong, the iPhone needed some games. There's nothing worse then being on a flight and the only thing you have to kill time is the episodes of "Rob and Big" you've seen 15 times already. Games will be a great addition to the iPhone/iTunes universe. However, I don't think anyone is going to buy an iPhone or iPod Touch with the primary goal of playing games. For me, it will be about sixth on the list, after web browsing, music player, e-mail, SMS, and phone calls. I'll play games for the same reason 95 percent of the other people who play games on their phone: to kill time. On a flight, on the train, in the waiting room, road trips, etc. To sum it up, no one is looking forward to Monday more then me as that is when Apple (finally!) rolls out the iPhone 2.0 and it's wonderful software, but don't expect hard core gamers to be the ones lining up at the Apple store to get one.

No comments: