Friday, July 11, 2008

Super Monkey Ball reviewed

Well now that the iPhone has been restored to normal, it's time to check out the new stuff, which means strolling through the iPhone store. I visited on the phone because it seems stupid to download to the Mac and then sync. Cutting out the middle man is great.

The store is pretty well organized with the top 25 paid and unpaid apps shown first. You can also look by category, or if you really know what you want, you can search for it by name. To no one's surprise, Super Monkey Ball was the top paid app, and I immediately downloaded it. About three minutes later it was fully installed and off I went. The graphics are pretty nice, with the beginning of each stage going through a 360 degree preview. The play control, however, takes a while to get used to. You almost have to have the iPhone horizontal to the ground, because if it's perpendicular (like I normally hold it) the monkey flies straight off towards you. The movements required are very, very subtle, indeed people in cars will probably have a very difficult time if the road is bumpy in the slightest. Although I never played the original, the game seems to me to be a console level game. It is easily the best game I have ever played on a phone. There's no doubt that the game is challenging and fun, and after playing it for a half hour I definitely feel I got my money's worth. I highly recommend downloading it, at the very least it is a time killer of the first order.

No comments: