Saturday, June 27, 2009

Slow Mac DNS lookups

Found this very interesting page regarding my current Mac slow DNS resolution issue. Before I proceed any further, I'd like to say shame on Apple for not having any decent articles about resolving this and shame on Apple for being worse (way worse) then window at such a fundamentally simple task. Basically, when Leopard came out it completely changed DNS requests using IPv6, which unfortunately for me turning off does not solve the problem. There's more in the article and it's way more informative then I'll ever be, but needless to say I'm not the first Mac user to have this problem, and eerily, there seems to be no easy fix. I have half a mind to take this thing up the Apple Store and let some "Genius" play with it.

UPDATE: Turns out it was Comcast's old school DNS servers, which no longer work with OS X Leopard apparently. The solution for me was to switch over to Open DNS servers, at 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222

No comments: