Saturday, June 27, 2009

Sorry Comcast

I'm the first one to admit when I've made a mistake. I recently accused Comcast of being slow, but upon further review, they are not at fault for my recent bouts of internet slowness. By checking on my wife's computer sites like Google, mlb.com, Yahoo!, I noted that the problem was not with Comcast. It was with the Mac. This of course pains me deeply, I do not like to speak ill of the Mac or any other Apple product I own, but it is the truth. It takes almost 10 seconds for a page to load in Safari, even a simple one like Google. Now I know Safari is a gigantically bloated browser (not as bad as IE, though) but this is completely unacceptable.

At first, I thought it was just bad wi-fi and maybe I was picking up another network or something. So I tried hooking up a CAT5 cable directly to my router. Still slow. And when I say slow, I'm talking EDGE speed slow, wanna chuck your computer slow.

I even went and tried Chrome on the Mac and it was no better. Out of desperation I'm trying Firefox again, hoping that it can handle simple things like logging onto Blogger, but I am not hopeful. Is it time to replace the Mac Mini? Say it ain't so Steve, say it ain't so.

UPDATE: This is so depressing. I've isolated the slowness of the internet to bad DNS resolution on the Mac. Ping tests confirm the same times to google (45ms) from both the windows machine and the mac, but it takes at least 5 seconds for the DNS resolution to occur. They should be using the same DNS, but I've got to check and make sure.

UPDATE 2: Actually it was Comcast's fault after all as their DNS servers don't work with Leopard anymore. And don't blame Apple either, they were just following the new IPv6 standards, we're all going to have to go them eventually. Get with the program Comcast! Thank you Open DNS servers for saving the day! And I'm sorry for ever doubting the Mac!

No comments: